This is a great way to get a project started if you already have data in another application, such as Microsoft Project, or a spreadsheet that you would like to move into TeamGantt.
To import a CSV, simply click the New Project button in the top right of your My Projects page. Then, select Upload a CSV to begin the import process.
Choose your account and file, then select Upload File. Once the file has been uploaded, you can then match the columns to the corresponding TeamGantt fields by selecting a field in the drop-down at the top of each column (green row).
- Dates must be entered in the format MM/DD/YYYY or YYYY-MM-DD for the file to upload correctly. Using any other format (DD/MM/YYYY for example) may cause the file to reject.
- For single-day tasks, you can specify just the start date, and the end date will be automatically set to the same date.
- CSV import can only be used to create a new project in TeamGantt. It can't be used to import data into an existing project.
Accepted CSV formats for upload
There are two strategies to importing CSV files into TeamGantt:
1) Simple - You can create a basic list of task names and their start dates and end dates and import them into TeamGantt. You can also add a group name to each row of your CSV if you like. See example below:
2) Use Work Breakdown Structure Format - This is a little more complicated, but it is also more powerful because it allows you to specify subgroups and task predecessors. For more information, WBS see this link here. Scroll down to "Coding scheme" for an example.
Here is an example of a WBS CSV being imported:
Fields that can be imported
Depending on the data that you wish to import and the import strategy that you've chosen, you can import a combination of the below fields.
WBS #: This field is essential if you choose to use the Work Breakdown Structure option. (Note: Any whole number represents an entirely new project). For example:
- 1 Project 1
- 1.1 Group of Tasks 1
- 1.1.1 Task 1 in Group 1
- 1.2. Group of Tasks 2
Name/Title: This field be used to indicate the project, group, and task names if you choose to import them all in a single column.
Group Name: This field can be used to indicate the name of a group or subgroup.
Task Name: This field can be used to indicate the name of a task or milestone.
Start Date, End Date: These fields can be used to indicate the start and end dates of a project, group, or task. These fields must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY or YYYY-MM-DD format.
Estimated Hours: This field can be used to assign estimated hours to a task. (Note: This data will only be imported if your account is the Advanced plan with hourly estimation and time tracking)
Percent Complete: This field can be used to indicate the completion percentage of a task. For best results, indicate the percent complete as a whole number (i.e. "75" for 75% complete)
Comments: This field allows you to post comments on the project, group, or task level. For example, instructions on how to complete the task.
Predecessors: This field can be used to indicate the preceding task in a dependency set. The preceding task must be indicated by WBS number. Read more about dependencies in TeamGantt here.
Task Color: Looking to import colors with your tasks? Create a "Task Color" column in your CSV and use this breakdown:
blue2 - Basic Blue
green1 - Golfer's Green
purple1 - Productive Purple
red1 - Rosy Red
orange - Operation Orange
blue1 - Blueberry
grey1 - Get it Done Grey
yellow1 - Mustard
blue3 - Blissful Blue
magenta1 - Magnifying Magenta
pink1 - Pretty Pink
green2 - Great Green
purple2 - Prolific Purple
orange2 - Outstanding Orange
brown1 - Beneficial Brown
green3 - Gainful Green
Notes: This field is no longer required, will be removed soon.
URL: This field is no longer required, will be removed soon.
To learn more about TeamGantt, join us for one of our webinars!